Thursday, January 28, 2010

Spring 2010 Couture: Christian Dior




Sometimes I feel I'm crazy because I think the opposite of what all the fashion editors think. I consider myself an expert on all things fashion related. After all, I've been wearing and admiring clothes for 30-odd years now, so I would think it would give me just as much right to comment as anyone else. But whatever. Rest assured that everything I thought about the Christian Dior show was different than the feedback I read. Because I hated it. What was to like? I mean, the ball dresses at the end, they were nice, sure, sure, but there's a whole beginning part I have to review too, and the over all feeling towards that was hatred. First of all, I hated the buttoned blazers over turtleneck with long skirt look. It was very 2010-meets-old-lady. I think they show more skin in Saudi Arabia. You made stuff my grandmother would want to wear, not fashions for the next generation. It just seemed so staid and stuffy and overwrought. And then the next set of looks didn't get any better. You took the old lady and sent her off to Sunday school. Egads! All those frilly over done confections, what were you thinking John Galliano? People may say all that ends well bodes well, and the show ended well enough, with some lovely and wearable ball gowns at the end. But I say never forget, and with those frocks I had to look at in the beginning I'm having a really hard time wiping the old memory slate clean. Isn't that one of the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder?

No comments:

Post a Comment