Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Brightest Diamond








My Brightest Diamond, before, after, during aforementioned rave-dance solo. You can see bits of her feather-like cape dangling in back.


This Friday I went to see My Brightest Diamond, who sings rock pierced with staccato guitar licks, replete with yelps and howls. They played at the Bowery ballroom. The singer enhanced the performance by doing everything from singing the blues to doing a spastic rave dance during a drum solo (my favorite part). They also wore costumes that make any fashionista die. The costumes were dazzling: black leotards with white, asymmetric shoulder embellishments replete with a feather like cape in the back. Genius. They sorta looked like misplaced black condors after a particularly spectacular flight. Very Rodarte. I wish I was able to capture them better in my photographs, but what I have featured here will have to do. The best thing about this show is how seamlessly the musicians blended art forms: there was costumes, music and dance. This was not an attempt to cover bad music, but rather the opposite: it stemmed from an appreciation of the arts, and how each art form works together to create beauty and meaning. The show was in a word: captivating. I wish you could have been there.

No comments:

Post a Comment