Tuesday, January 18, 2011

2011 Golden Globes

Nothing makes me swoon more than beautiful actresses strutting down a red carpet in even more beautiful gowns. Overall this season the actresses made terrific chooses with gowns. Silhouettes were a bit closer to the body this season and colors followed recent runway trends with the majority of the dresses in nudes and blushes (yawn on that). Fashion editors the world over heralded the display of emerald green, there was also blues and oranges worn to great effect. Notable dresses are below with pictures and a bit of my commentary. The photos are from justjared.buzznet.com.

Catherine Zeta-Jones in Monique Lhullier. Great choice of color.

Megan Fox, I saw Transformers, and must admit I am starting to like you. Great Armani Prive dress. The fit is sophisticated, yet fresh, and I love this soft color on you.

Yvonne Strahovski in Pamela Rolland. One of a few actresses who chose blue. I love this soft grayed-down shade.

Love Katey Sagal's color choice for her custom Douglas Hannant gown.


Honorary member of the Secret Society whether she likes it or not, Tilda Swinton wore Jil Sander. Oh Tilda, you always delight and surprise. Nothing epitomizes the mood of current fashion sensibilities more than your minimalist cream and white gown. I love the play of the idea of a crisp white shirt turned into a dress. Tilda, will you marry me?

Olivia Wilde breaking the mold with one of the only full skirted skirts of the night. I love her Marchesa dress and her adventurous Christian Louboutin booties.

Nicole Kidman plays it safe in Prada sequins. I love the choice of cream as opposed to blush.

Close up of sequins. I know what you're thinking, and I, too, wish I could see that shoulder detail better.


Sorry Natalie. While I commend you for wearing the unusual and unexpected, I am not sure how I feel about your Victor and Rolf dress. That being said, tell Laura and Kate I said hi (more honorary members), and keep daring to be different. Better dress next time!


I love the color of Kyra Sedgwick's Emilio Pucci dress. I also love everything else about it, including the stunning way it accentuates her figure. Well done!

Julianne Moore wore a most controversial dress by Lanvin that I will defend to the death. I love her adventurous choice. She absolutely glows in this powerful color. The jeweled necklace balances the powerful shoulder beautifully, and I love the contrast of the jewels against the satin. It hugs her figure beautifully. My only gripe is the wrinkled skirt, which makes her look a bit disheveled, and makes you wonder if Alber Elbaz thought the dress all the way through. Still, that is the fault of the designer's fabric choice and not Julianne's.

Close up of the jeweled neckline. I still like it, even up close. And no, I don't care what you think.

I hate to rant and rave about Angeline Jolie since everyone always does, but I must say I simply loved her Atelier Versace dress. It was again refreshing to see such a powerful color against the sea of nudes. I love how she played on her sexiness in such an understated way. Although the dress offers a lot of coverage the neckline, powerful shoulders, and accented waist all play up her assets. Bravo Angie!

Scar-Jo in Elie Saab. Yawn. Getting sick of this Old Hollywood vibe she always has going on. Still, I the dress is quite pretty. I love the gentle flutter of the sleeve.

Dame Helen Mirren in Badgley Mishka. Great choice for her figure.

January Jones in Versace Atelier. Bravo for stepping out in red, the only red dress I saw that night. However, I have mixed feelings about this dress. I find the overt display of boobs a bit vulgar, but love the bandaging and fringed skirt. January, is there any way to see this dress without your boobies sticking out? Thanks. I'd appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment