Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Wedding Update

I must admit, the initial coverage of the Royal Wedding had me feeling somewhat apathetic. I did not want to write about it. Here was the story as I saw it: a couple meets at college, they live together for a while, then decide to marry. Here were my three words to describe the arrangement: big friggin' deal. Nonetheless, I just reviewed the sartorial coverage of the wedding, and I must admit it has me titillated. The British love of hats never fails to amaze me, and Kate's dress was nothing short of a-MAZ-ing. Below are some of my favorite looks from the event with commentary. All pictures from Getty Images.

Although some objected to her wearing black, I find Victoria Beckham to be very chic, and I love her hat by Phillip Treacy.


Prince Andrew and Daughters.

Tara Palmer-Tomkinson in another amazing ensemble.

And my opinion on Kate's dress? Absolutely perfect. It just represented everything a Royal Dress should be. It exuded class. It was refined and elegant. I loved the simplicity of the skirt, the weight of the train. Her veil framed her face beautifully. It was exquisitely made. It looked unusual and traditional all at once. To learn more about the dress's construction I highly recommend checking out this post from NYmag.



Although most fashion insiders agreed that her dress was 'da bomb', apparently not everyone agrees. For example, here's what Daniel Orszewski, a 31 year old head of styling for Top Shop, had to say during his conversation with "The Times" Christine Haughney:

(He)...leaned back in his booth at G-A-Y Bar, sipped champagne and expressed his concerns about Ms. Middleton's fashion choice saying that the dress was too plain. "I thought Pippa looked better," he said while dressed in a tight black Union Jack t-shirt.

Hmm...black Union Jack t-shirt? Royal lession number one Kate: you can't please everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment