Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Up-And-Coming Designer Alert: Kelacala Q




I am so excited to have the following interview with Lara Kurtzman from Kelacala Q. I met Lara a few years ago through her former classmates from the Rhode Island School of Design. When you meet her, you just can't help but notice her easy but edgy sense of style. Her jewelry is definitely an extension of her personality: eclectic, fun, with an unequivocable sex appeal. The following is an excerpt from an interview I had with her the other day.

1. You have an unusual name for your jewelry line. How did you come to the name, and does it hold any special meaning for you?

Kelacala Q is an anagram using the first initials of my dad, mom, me, my sister, my grandparents and my cat Quincy.

2. Where do you start your design process, as in where and how do you find inspiration? And what have you felt inspired by as of late?

My process usually begins with a tiny little spark that ignites as a response to something, it could be anything, a unique material that I have on the "drawing table", a outfit that I put on that is missing a key element, or a shopping trip where I find an incredible piece that I'll spend weeks playing around with.

Lately I've been inspired by McQueen's final collection. His last show was so ground-breakingly futuristic that I became obsessed. I was crushed when he took his own life.

3. Where can my readers find your jewelry? Where is it sold?

Right now you can find our lines in Manhattan at Sucre and Ibiza and on Long Island we're at DeNatale and Tauk. We're also at Moda in Nashville. To see all of our collections or for weddings and custom designs, customers can visit us and shop online at www.kelacalaq.com.

4. I just did an article on American fashion icons inspired by the Costume Institutes recent exhibition. Who is an American icon who inspires you?

A list of my inspirational icons could literally go on forever but like most of my generation, I was influenced by early Madonna, Prince and Michael Jackson but for the past years I've had an obsession with Meryl Streep. It's so amazing to see someone embody and express so many human dynamics... and then there's Johnny Depp.... Oh, Johnny. Add Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Patti Smith... you get the idea: strong, sexy, independent, talented... a great description of the kind of people who wear Kelacala Q jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment